How to STAY friends this summer...
By Cinse Bonino
When school's out -- it's time to vacate the classroom, run for the sun, and hang with your friends. What could be better? No classes to get through. Talking on the phone in the middle of the day! Staying up late. Party. Party. Shop and... you get the idea!
Sounds like paradise, doesn't it? It can be. It can also be a DISASTER!!! How? Sometimes having MORE time to be with your friends brings up situations that CAN spell trouble, but not if you stay true to your friends AND to yourself!!!
Meanwhile here are a few situations that might come up and a little advice about how to handle them.
Dump that guy! Ditch that girl!
One of your friends tells you how her crush is driving her CRAZY. She complains and complains and complains. You find yourself agreeing that her crush is bad news, is better off as history -- end of story. NO! No! STOP!!! Warning! Warning! Be a good friend and LISTEN, but don't be soooooo quick to tell her to dump her crush.
Don't misunderstand me -- if the crush REALLY IS a total loser and is treating your friend badly, you should as a good friend point that out. BUT, and this is SO IMPORTANT, your friend may just be temporarily disenchanted. The crush may be totally sweet, but just have done some dumb little thing wrong. Don't start bad-mouthing him or her. After all, your friend could be back with her crush the very next day and then remember that YOU think her crush is AWFUL. This could lead to her dumping YOU instead of her crush!
Get OUT of that outfit!
Summer clothes are SO much fun to choose, to buy, to borrow, to wear... If one of your friends is trying on a new outfit either in a fitting room or in her room and asks your opinion and she looks well, to be honest here, she looks the worst that you have ever, ever, ever seen her look -- WHAT should you do?
You need to be a good friend. You HAVE to tell her that the outfit is NOT for her. EVEN if she already bought it. (She CAN probably bring it back.) Be tactful. You know, that means to tell the truth in a way that doesn't make her hate herself or you! Try something like this... Jen, you always look awesome in your clothes, but this is just not for you. I don't know WHO they made that color (or style) for, but it doesn't show the world the B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L you that I am so used to seeing. Ditch it! You deserve better!
If you don't tell her, someone else will and she'll NEVER trust YOU again. Besides, wouldn't YOU want to know the truth if you asked her how YOU looked in an outfit you were trying on?!!!
LOOK OUT!!! Crush clash ahead!
When I was young my friend, Claudia, and I both had a crush on this guy named, Johnny. Claudia went off to the Beach for the summer and Johnny gave me a little ring and we became sweethearts for the summer. I felt soooooo GUILTY! Fortunately, Johnny and I broke up before Claudia returned from the beach!
What DO you do when both of you are crushing the same person? You have three choices as I see it.
Pick friendship first and decide that neither of you will go after the crush.
Pick friendship first and decide that both of you will go after the crush and let fate decide how things turn out, promising each other (and MEANING it) that you'll each wish the other well if she gets along better with the crush.
Forget friendship and just GO AFTER that crush! No self-respecting female would EVER do this! Friendship is SO important. You can find a way to make one of the pick friendship first ways above work for both of you!
Here's what Girl Zone girls have to say about how to stay good friends:
I believe the three most important rules for being friends are as follows: always tell the truth no matter how much it hurts, you're there for that person when they need you the most no matter the situation, and you treat and care for that person as you would yourself.
THE THREE IMPORTANT RULES ARE:
- ALWAYS BE TRUE
- NEVER TELL SECRETS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO BE KEPT
- STICK TOGETHER NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS
Not to Do:
- Lie to your friend or be dishonest in any way.
- Tease her or him.
- Put them down or brag.
Three most important rules to friendship are:
- Be honest and truthful.
- Don't talk behind each other back.
- Always be there for him/her.
THREE THINGS FRIENDS SHOULD DO:
- ALWAYS BE THERE WHEN YOU REALLY NEED THEM
- BE ABLE TO KEEP ALL YOUR SECRETS
- ALWAYS STICK UP FOR YOU WHEN YOU ARE IN TROUBLE
Rules for being good friends:
- Never tell anyone the secrets your friends confide in you to keep.
- Don't talk behind your friend's back, a true friend can tell it to your face.
- Be there for here if she rely needs you
I think that the three most important rules are: 1. Don't judge or assume stuff!!! 2. Forgive and Forget!!! 3. Think b4 you speak!!!
I think the 3 most important rules for being friends are:
- DO NOT tell a secret your friend told you to everybody unless she/he tells you to.
- DO NOT just be a friend to some body because they are popular.
- DO tell your friend the truth. Don't lie to her/him because the small lie could end up to be a big lie in the end.
The three rules to being best friends are:
- To have equal listening and talking time
- Try your very most hardest to understand everything your friend experiences (good or bad)
- Just be there when the other friend needs someone to talk to or a shoulder to cry on.( Be there to let them get whatever feelings they may have out)
Best Friend Rules-
- Always keep the secrets your bestest tells you!!!
- Don't talk about her behind her back.....EVER!!!!
- Always give her time and space if she looks like she needs it.